We are creating a Network of SEND Champions, made up of willing parents, carers an professionals to provide support and signposting for children, young people and their families.
We held two scoping meetings in December 2019 and January 2020 which were well attended and really energetic. Parents, carers and professionals talked about what they could do as SEND Champions, what qualities a champion might have and the support they would need.
We are arranging regular meetings to allow parents/carers to network with each other and with professionals who can help signpost and provide support. We are also looking into resources and training that Champions will be able to access as well as a logo that everyone will be able to recognise.
To get involved, email us at mailto:SEND-IP@stockport.gov.uk You don’t have to attend regular meetings, you might just be able to share valuable information with others. Join us, be a SEND Champion!
Updates, Actions, and Meetings
9th June 2020
The first of our two meetings this week took place yesterday. 13 of us attended in total and after checking in with our favourite childhood films (nostalgic moments!) we had some really rich discussion about:
- Photo/video tours of schools
- Impact of lockdown on wheelchair measurement services
- virtual speech therapy & paediatric appointments
- school bus passes
- future transformation of the Speech & Language Therapy Service
- survey for young people by young people about EHC Plans
- co-production charter – rolling it out and making everyone accountable to it
- updates needed to resource lists for support services
Our take away action were:
- Ask more schools to arrange video / photo tours of what school will be like when children go back
- Organise a webinar on speech & language
- Get bus pass information updated on Local Offer (single page flow chart)
- Update specific groups’ Facebook pages
- Promote and attend webinars
- Keep up to date with PACTS information and sharing their resources
- Liaise/network to improve and involve parents/carers with changes at the hospital
- Promote ‘stay & play’ scheme to support parents/carers
- Share SAYS EHCP survey as widely as possible for young people
- Review documents about services for parents/carers
- Review the co-production charter and how we can make professionals in different organisations accountable for the principles
All that in just under two hours!
If you weren’t there, you could still help:
- I will send a copy of the co-production charter – please consider how different organisations might be held to account for upholding it and email any comments back to me
- I will share a copy of the young people’s survey for young people with EHCPs – please share widely with young people who have a final or draft EHCP and encourage them to respond. This will feed into our quality assurance and co-production ensuring the voice of the child/young person is embedded
- Please keep up to date on via our social media sites https://twitter.com/SMBC_SEND and https://www.facebook.com/groups/StockportCouncilSEND/ as well as PACTS https://pactstockport.co.uk/ and share widely with families and young people