In Stockport we want to promote a culture that values all children and young people and promotes their potential. Our aspiration and vision are echoed in this statement from Pen Green, a Early Years Centre with a national reputation in SEND:
We celebrate all children and families. We embrace diversity and recognise the rich contribution of each unique child. We believe that children and families need person-centred services which promote full social participation, enabling everybody to maximise their health, well-being and life chances:
- We always focus on children’s achievements and look at children as learners no matter what their starting points are
- We do not use a deficit model of what children cannot do
- We believe that every child and adult has something unique that they bring to the centre
- We value their contribution and aim to nurture and develop each individual
- We respect, value and celebrate our differences
- We support each child’s well-being, self-image and confidence in their abilities to learn and achieve
- We recognise that we all learn from each other
- Everyone has a fundamental right to a fair and equal education
As part of our SEND improvement journey we have created a SEND e-Learning course which is aimed at everyone who works with children and young people aged 0-25. It can be completed by anybody who has an interest in developing their knowledge and understanding of special educational needs and disabilities - SEND.
The training will provide existing SEND professionals and those who are new to SEND with the required high level of knowledge and insight into SEND, thus creating a well-informed, joint support network for Children and Young People (CYP) with SEND.
The SEND e-Learning course can also so be a useful tool for parent careers and anyone interested in developing their knowledge and understanding of SEND. The course is accessed via Learning Pool, which is the home of the council’s e-learning courses and is available free of charge. If you do not already have access to Learning Pool, then please click here for further guidance and support.
Let’s continue to work together to make SEND everyone’s business .